Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a feature-length Spider-Man animated adventure from the creative team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Released in late 2018, the movie features many Spider-Man-related characters, including Miles Morales, Peter Parker and the Kingpin.
During its theatrical run, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse proved to be a hit with audiences, and post-release it won multiple awards, including an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. But how did it fair with critics?
In this post, I am taking a look at the critical reception to the film when it first hit cinema screens. Did the critics think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was good, or were they not sold on the movie?
Below are snippets taken from multiple reviews, all published during the time of the movie’s theatrical release.
Review round-up for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Here is what the critics said about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse:
- Charles Bramesco of The Guardian awarded Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse four stars (out of five) and said: “While on paper it might seem like a shameless cash grab, this latest take on the webslinger is a thrilling, witty and surprisingly necessary chapter in the franchise.”
- Alex Abad-Santos of Vox also gave the movie a score of four (out of five) and said: “With its risky visual storytelling and tender script, Into the Spider-Verse earns the greatest honour that one can bestow on a Spider-Man movie: It somehow makes you want to see more Spider-Man movies.”
- David Griffin of IGN awarded Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse a score of 9 (out of 10) and said: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse hits all the marks to be an all-around moviegoing blast. Miles Morales has a memorable big-screen debut thanks to a compelling story and strong performances from its heroes and villain. Alongside Peter Parker, Miles’ journey from everyday teenager to a genuine city-saving superhero is one of the best Spider-Man movie stories ever.”
- Susana Polo of Polygon was also impressed with the movie calling it “a feast for the eyes.” She added: “In a wide field of Spider-Mans to choose from, it is the strength of Miles Morales’ story that makes him a standout character. And Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has plenty of strengths to go around.”
- And finally, Peter Sciretta of Slashfilm, said: “Spider-man: Into The Spider-Verse is not only the best animated feature and best comic book movie this year, but one of the best movies of 2018 period. I don’t think another movie does a better job of bringing a comic book to life on the big screen.”
So, there you have it – very positive reviews all round. The critics loved Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse!
I do hope this post has been helpful to you. If it has, then don’t forget to check out some of the recommended reads below, which also might prove useful.
- Who are the villains of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?
- Who is Miles Morales in the Spider-Man movies?
- The best episodes of Spider-Man: The Animated Series